Re: Contd: [pedantic-web] question about sioc / foaf usage

    [snip]

>     The identity however is maintained by the "fingerprint" of the
>     object graphs, and the URI is just an image of that fingerprint at
>     some point in time/location ?
    I think Identity is managed by the beholder of things, the one that
    deems them important enough to be described, mentioned, talked
    about, or referenced :-)

I should have said what I was thinking in my head and not what my
fingers were thinking : "The identity however is defined by the
fingerprint of the object graphs, varying perhaps in time". If I have
today a graph [a->b->c]  identified by [http://example.lod/myThing] and
tomorrow I change it to [a->-b->c->d] or maybe [a->b->d], the address is
the same, the access path is the same, it identifies the same thing, but
the qualities of that thing have varied : ie, it is the same, but
different. That difference may or may not be important or have
consequences for the consumer of that thing.

And unless I provide a versioning URI its not going to be possible to
provide for recognising, or "replaying" an identity (or isolating the
change in identity) of a thing, at some previous time - the address for
instance start as [http://example.lod/v1/myThing] and then become
[http://example.lod/v2/myThing] and so on ? But in this case the address
has changed, and the internal access path might have, but they're still
the same thing (I note it may perhaps also proxied by an agnostic
[http://example.lod/myThing]. I suppose a canonical LoD-GUID and the
version chain would need to be qualities of each version ?

If the Semantic Web is the second coming of the Internet, then there is
going to be a lot of explaining to do :-) Think I'm going to need a
fundamental allegory or two....

Apologies for beating this to death.