Re: AW: [Dbpedia-discussion] Fwd: Your message to Dbpedia-discussion awaits moderator approval

From: Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:33:38 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>
CC: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, Kavitha Srinivas <ksrinivs@gmail.com>, Tim Finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>, Anja Jentzsch <anja@anjeve.de>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, "dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net" <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>
On 11/08/2009 15:47, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Chris Bizer wrote:
>

>> Hi Kingsley, Pat and all,

<snip/>

>> Everything on the Web is a claim by somebody. There are no facts,
>> there is
>> no truth, there are only opinions.
>
> Same is true of the Web and of life in general, but still there are
> laws about slander, etc.; and outrageous falsehoods are rebutted or
> corrected (eg look at how Wikipedia is managed); or else their source
> is widely treated as nonsensical, which I hardly think DBpedia wishes
> to be. And also, I think we do have some greater responsibility to
> give our poor dumb inference engines a helping hand, since they have
> no common sense to help them sort out the wheat from the chaff, unlike
> our enlightened human selves.
>

>> Semantic Web applications must take this into account and therefore
>> always
>> assess data quality and trustworthiness before they do something
>> with the
>> data.
I think that this discussion really emphasises how bad it is to put this
co-ref data in the same store as the other data.
Finding data in dbpedia that is mistaken/wrong/debateable undermines the
whole project - the contract dbpedia offers is to reflect the wikipedia
content that it offers.
And it isn't really sensible/possible to distinguish the extra sameas from
the "real" sameas.
Eg http://dbpedia.org/resource/London and
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Leondeon

And on the other hand, freebase is now in danger of being undermined by this
as well.

As time goes by, the more I think this is going wrong.

Best
Hugh
<truncate/>