Re: "humane" query editors for the data web?

From: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:40:00 -0700
To: public-lod@w3.org
Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Sherman Monroe wrote:
>> Kingsley,
>> Well said. After all, we preach interoperability and standards to an
>> industry driven by concept of isolate & conquer. In all seriousness,
>> if we are to have any real chance of overcoming the impetus of
>> proprietary interests, then we must first achieve some semblance of
>> solidarity within the ranks of our own community. Yet, some of the
>> initiatives and territorial projects that surface clearly duplicate
>> efforts and at times lack interoperability with similar efforts; in
>> the process, precious focus and energy is wasted. The notion of
>> "standing on the shoulders of your fellows" is frustratingly lacking
>> whereas it should be one of our guiding principles. It is in our
>> interests to coordinate similar efforts, and diligently seek points
>> of synergies were none are apparent. Competition within the community
>> should be shunned and hissed at, seriously. Failure to align our
>> efforts will weaken our collective effort, and cause us to bump
>> against the same walls we're trying to bring down. LOD is
>> fundamentally a revolution in thinking, from a value on competition
>> and silos to the recognition of a much greater value in co-opetition
>> and interoperbility; that revolution must catch fire within the minds
>> of each LODC member before it has a chance of spreading to the rest
>> of the industry. The question each of us should ask ourselves is, do
>> I really believe in what LOD is about? The rest of the industry must
>> be able to look to us as an example of LOD principles at work.
>> -sherman
> Amen!
> Homogeneity of purpose must be matched with actions, we have to
> dog-food every aspect of Linked Data :-)
> BTW - Any comments re. the UI matters we are discussing? I ask because
> you've felt the pain our service alleviates, first hand, based your
> experience re. Cypher atop DBpedia.
Re: dogfooding, "experiencing" the data web, etc., it might actually be
useful to start with giving answers to these questions

And moving the "consuming linked data" section to the top. After all,
for most people, from my limited experience, they want to "take" before
they "give"--i.e., consuming free linked data before donating linked
data back. Has no other visitor beside me complained about the lack of
answers on an FAQ page? :-)