Re: "humane" query editors for the data web?

Sherman Monroe wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> Well said. After all, we preach interoperability and standards to an
> industry driven by concept of isolate & conquer. In all seriousness,
> if we are to have any real chance of overcoming the impetus of
> proprietary interests, then we must first achieve some semblance of
> solidarity within the ranks of our own community. Yet, some of the
> initiatives and territorial projects that surface clearly duplicate
> efforts and at times lack interoperability with similar efforts; in
> the process, precious focus and energy is wasted. The notion of
> "standing on the shoulders of your fellows" is frustratingly lacking
> whereas it should be one of our guiding principles. It is in our
> interests to coordinate similar efforts, and diligently seek points of
> synergies were none are apparent. Competition within the community
> should be shunned and hissed at, seriously. Failure to align our
> efforts will weaken our collective effort, and cause us to bump
> against the same walls we're trying to bring down. LOD is
> fundamentally a revolution in thinking, from a value on competition
> and silos to the recognition of a much greater value in co-opetition
> and interoperbility; that revolution must catch fire within the minds
> of each LODC member before it has a chance of spreading to the rest of
> the industry. The question each of us should ask ourselves is, do I
> really believe in what LOD is about? The rest of the industry must be
> able to look to us as an example of LOD principles at work.
>
> -sherman
Amen!

Homogeneity of purpose must be matched with actions, we have to dog-food
every aspect of Linked Data :-)

BTW - Any comments re. the UI matters we are discussing? I ask because
you've felt the pain our service alleviates, first hand, based your
experience re. Cypher atop DBpedia.

Kingsley

> [...]
>     >>> via their URLs. Which means the same UI works fine for SPARUL
>     (writing
>     >>> to Quad Store via its internal Graph IRI or Web Information
>     Resource
>     >>> URL).
>     >>>
>     >>> Links:
>     >>>
>     >>> 1.  http://rdfweb.org/people/damian/RDFAuthor/Tutorial/ -- RDF
>     Author
>     >>>
>     >>> Kingsley
>     >>>>
>     >>>> David
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Juan Sequeda wrote:
>     >>>>> You may want to check out a tool that we are working on: SQUIN
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> http://squin.informatik.hu-berlin.de/SQUIN/
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
>     >>>>> Dept. of Computer Sciences
>     >>>>> The University of Texas at Austin
>     >>>>> www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>     <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>     >>>>> www.semanticwebaustin.org <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>     <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM, David Huynh
>     <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
>     >>>>> <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>>>
>     wrote:
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     Hi all,
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     Admittedly this is somewhat of a tease and shameless
>     >>>>>     self-promotion :-) but I think there are a few interesting
>     >>>>>     concepts in the query editor for Freebase that I've been
>     working
>     >>>>>     on that can be very useful for querying and consuming
>     LOD data
>     >>>>> sets:
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>       http://www.freebase.com/app/queryeditor/about
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     Or maybe I missed it totally--is there anything similar for
>     >>>>>     writing SPARQL queries over LOD?
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     Cheers,
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     David
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>

> --
>
> Thanks,
> -sherman
>
> I pray that you may prosper in all things and be healthy, even as your

President & CEO