Re: "humane" query editors for the data web?

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> David,
>
> That is something we were talking today at the BOF at WWW. "How can I
> find URI".
You want to lookup a an Entity URI from the LOD Cloud, right?

Do explore the service at: http://lod.openlinksw.com ? Take note of the
3 tabs on the home page.

Also note the VoiD graph at: http://lod.openlinksw.com/void/Dataset,
meaning you can even start exploring the LOD cloud from the description
of a dataset.
> Hopefully tomorrow's session we will come up with interesting
> solutions. Currently, you need to know the URI (unfortunately).
No you don't.  Take a look at  "URI Lookup (by Label)" tab.  Type in a
literal pattern associated with an Entity who's URI you seek.
> Same thing follows for the other problem. Right now, you need to know
> the datasets and what vocabularies to use.
See comment above.
> Personally I envision a shift from a developer prespective. Instead of
> learning APIs, you learn the common vocabularies.
Yes, I am assuming Orri Erling made this crystal clear during his
workshop talk. Otherwise, do try catching up with him if you can.

Kingsley

> Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
> Dept. of Computer Sciences
> The University of Texas at Austin
> www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>
> www.semanticwebaustin.org <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:07 AM, David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the link, Juan.
>
>     Just curious, even if I know SPARQL, how do I (as a new user) know
>     which properties and types there are in the data? And what URIs to
>     use for what?
>
>     David
>
>     Juan Sequeda wrote:
>
>         You may want to check out a tool that we are working on: SQUIN
>
>         http://squin.informatik.hu-berlin.de/SQUIN/
>
>         Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student
>         Dept. of Computer Sciences
>         The University of Texas at Austin
>         www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>         <http://www.juansequeda.com>
>         www.semanticwebaustin.org <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>         <http://www.semanticwebaustin.org>
>

>         On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM, David Huynh
>         <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
>         <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu <mailto:dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>>>
>         wrote:
>
>            Hi all,
>
>            Admittedly this is somewhat of a tease and shameless
>            self-promotion :-) but I think there are a few interesting
>            concepts in the query editor for Freebase that I've been
>         working
>            on that can be very useful for querying and consuming LOD
>         data sets:
>
>              http://www.freebase.com/app/queryeditor/about
>
>            Or maybe I missed it totally--is there anything similar for
>            writing SPARQL queries over LOD?
>
>            Cheers,
>
>            David

President & CEO