Re: ANN: The GoodRelations Annotator: How any business can get onto the Web of Data - today!

From: <richard.hancock@3kbo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:40:38 -0500 (CDT)
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
Hi Martin,

the GoodRelations Annotator worked well. To try it out I used it to create
and publish a semanticweb.rdf file for my embryonic business at

I'm interested in extending the links from the semanticweb.rdf to other
things. In particular linking the BusinessEntity with people and with
other BusinessEntitys.

Initially I added the URI of my foaf file to the BusinessEntity instance
using rdfs:seeAlso, but after reading the definition of BusinessEntity
i.e. that it "represents the legal agent making a particular offering and
can be a legal body or a person" I changed it to owl:sameAs.

<gr:BusinessEntity rdf:ID="BusinessEntity">

This makes sense for my simple case, since as a sole trader I am the
BusinessEntity and owl:sameAs also provides an inferred link from my foaf
file to the semanticweb.rdf.

But I am also interested in describing other more complex relationships
between a BusinessEntity (when not a person) and the people involved with
the business (e.g. directors, CEO etc ...) and between other

Do you now of an ontology along the lines of foaf
(http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/) and relationship
(http://vocab.org/relationship/) that could be used?

Richard Hancock

> Dear all:
> We are proud to announce the release of the GoodRelations Annotator, a
form-based tool that will help any business in the world to create a
description of its offerings suitable for the Web of Data,
> and that in less than 5 minutes.
> The tool is available at
> http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/
> It creates a straightforward yet complete description of the key aspects
of a typical business using the GoodRelations vocabulary and current
Semantic Web standards.
> The resulting RDF/XML file can be either directly published on the
company's Web site or used as a skeleton for developing a more
> fine-grained description with price information etc.
> The work on the tool has been funded by the Oesterreichische
> Forschungsfoerderungsgesellschaft GmbH (FFG) and the Austrian
> Bundesministerium fuer Verkehr, Innovation und Technologie (BMVIT) under
the myOntology project in the FIT-IT "Semantic Systems" program