Re: ANN: The GoodRelations Annotator: How any business can get onto the Web of Data - today!

From: <richard.hancock@3kbo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:40:38 -0500 (CDT)
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
Hi Martin,

the GoodRelations Annotator worked well. To try it out I used it to create
and publish a semanticweb.rdf file for my embryonic business at
http://www.3kbo.com/semanticweb.rdf.

I'm interested in extending the links from the semanticweb.rdf to other
things. In particular linking the BusinessEntity with people and with
other BusinessEntitys.

Initially I added the URI of my foaf file to the BusinessEntity instance
using rdfs:seeAlso, but after reading the definition of BusinessEntity
i.e. that it "represents the legal agent making a particular offering and
can be a legal body or a person" I changed it to owl:sameAs.

E.g.

<gr:BusinessEntity rdf:ID="BusinessEntity">
  <owl:sameAs
rdf:resource="http://www.3kbo.com/people/richard.hancock/foaf.rdf#i"/>
</gr:BusinessEntity>

This makes sense for my simple case, since as a sole trader I am the
BusinessEntity and owl:sameAs also provides an inferred link from my foaf
file to the semanticweb.rdf.

But I am also interested in describing other more complex relationships
between a BusinessEntity (when not a person) and the people involved with
the business (e.g. directors, CEO etc ...) and between other
BusinessEntitys.

Do you now of an ontology along the lines of foaf
(http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/) and relationship
(http://vocab.org/relationship/) that could be used?

Cheers,

Richard Hancock

> Dear all:
>
> We are proud to announce the release of the GoodRelations Annotator, a
form-based tool that will help any business in the world to create a
description of its offerings suitable for the Web of Data,
> and that in less than 5 minutes.
>
> The tool is available at
>
> http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/
>
> It creates a straightforward yet complete description of the key aspects
of a typical business using the GoodRelations vocabulary and current
Semantic Web standards.

> The resulting RDF/XML file can be either directly published on the
company's Web site or used as a skeleton for developing a more
> fine-grained description with price information etc.
>
> The work on the tool has been funded by the Oesterreichische
> Forschungsfoerderungsgesellschaft GmbH (FFG) and the Austrian
> Bundesministerium fuer Verkehr, Innovation und Technologie (BMVIT) under
the myOntology project in the FIT-IT "Semantic Systems" program