Re: Making RDF / LinkedData trivially browseable - thoughts?

Daniel, All,

> I am rather uncomfortable with even the idea that users might "browse the
> semantic web".

I sort of second Hugh, here. Various reasons, really, but basically Web of
Data to me mainly means doing something in the background. A human might
ideally not even notice that she is 'in' the Web of Data, just benefiting
from it.

How?

Dunno. We gotta find out, but in a problem-pull rather than technology-push
fashion, I believe. Look at stuff you have been doing recently and ask
yourself (similar to  BBC [1] maybe?): what part of my app can be done
better/more efficient/with less effort/etc.

I tried to put together some initial thoughts that might help as well [2]
(pre-print of my upcoming IEEE Internet Computing journal article).

I also second Kjetil when he says: forget about the XML tool chain. Luckily
the Semantic Web stack has changed some time ago and now acknowledges that
very fact (RDF is *not* build on top of XML; for a long time a very serious
marketing problem, IMHO).

On the other hand we see technologies such as RDFa, potentially being the
next big step in the linked data world; a very natural way [3] to deploy
linked data, if you ask me.

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2009/01/how_we_make_websites.shtml
[2] http://sw-app.org/pub/exploit-lod-webapps-IEEEIC-preprint.pdf
[3]
http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2008/papers/06-halb-raimond-building-linked
-data.pdf

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,