Re: RDFa in Wikipedia

Good explanation Frederick.

Open GUID does not make the distinction between subjects and named
entities, it leaves that up to specific ontology/data providers.

Back to the original topic of an RDFa 'about' attribute on a Wikipedia
article, an UMBEL subject concept would fit perfectly there and move the
isAbout declaration to the source.  For named entities, however, the
attribute would point to the "http://umbel.org/umbel/ne/wikipedia"
namespace, which is just itself, and thus subject to volatile URI and
notability limitations.  But as Chris pointed out, this is perfectly
fine for some use cases.

My old Databases 101 professor would argue that a fixed identifier is
the best way to associate data, but I suppose this is Web 420 class.

Maybe it's best to look at Open GUID as an UMBEL named entity
dictionary.  One that is meant to be linked by people and unlimited in
scope.  Whether there are enough use cases to support the linking effort
remains to be seen.

Jason