Re: Drilling into the LOD Cloud

Ed Summers wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Figure 3 *almost* has what I was looking for, but it's still relating
> the sets of resources (the data provider). I'm thinking of a
> resource-centric illustration, take for example:
>
>   <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin>
>
> which has then links out to OpenCyc, Eurostat, Geonames and Umbel, and
> the assertions that can be found in those data sets.
>
> The idea is to show how different data provider communities can help
> build descriptions of resources that fit their specific communities,
> while still contributing to a larger more comprehensive and
> multi-faceted description that is distributed on and retrievable from
> the web.
>
> Thanks for responding, maybe I'll just use Figure 3 and gesture at the
> idea with words (so I can have that beer).
>
> Cheers,
> //Ed

All,

Evolution of the LOD Cloud links are as follows:

In the beginning instance level links between data set individuals via
owl:sameAs.
When Yago first emerged, only the named entity links where applied,
which kept the links as owl:sameAs, solely.
Then we added the Yago Class Hierarchy to the mix which resulted in
rdf:type links between DBpedia and Yago plus inference rules.
Last week, we added UMBEL links to the mix which, like Yago, adds
rdf:type links between DBpedia and UMBEL and OpenCyc, and of course an
additional set of inference rules.
We will also be taking a closer look at DBpedia and OpenCyc so that we
can also add explicity rdf:type links between DBpedia and OpenCyc to
complement the individual level owl:sameAs links between DBpedia and
OpenCyc (all in all just another relationship vector).

To conclude, the LOD cloud, courtesy of DBpedia's rdf:type links (*which
need to be emphasized in the cloud*), is no longer a data space held
together by owl:sameAs linkage solely. Naturally, this is an immense
improvement as we broaden our horizons toward audiences beyond core
Semantic Web communities :-)

President & CEO