Re: LOD Constellation

From: Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:16:21 -0400
To: Gong Cheng <gcheng@seu.edu.cn>
Cc: 'Mike Bergman' <mike@mkbergman.com>, public-lod@w3.org

Hi Gong!

> We can't stop people from using different ontologies to describe the same
> topic. And it seems that in future it will be often the case that multiple

Never :)
> ontologies about the same domain coexist. I hardly dared to hope that all

I would think so.
> the ontology developers would explicitly state in their ontologies that
> their classes are equivalent to or subclass of some classes in other
> ontologies. So we need third-party algorithms/communities to solve the
> problem. And your work is an exciting starting point.

Yup; But what is important is that these person are aware of what
exists, and what is the local semantic of classes (descriptions of the
classes within the ontology) and the global semantic is (relations with
external ontologies)
> Another of my suggestions is that, is it possible to set a wiki-like system
> to enable everyone to participate in the matching process? A secondary
> effect is that ontology developers may be interested in maintaining the wiki
> pages about their own ontologies, just like currently many companies ask
> employees to maintain their wikipedia pages ;)

Sure this can be done. However this wikipage *won't* because an actual
mapping. The final assesment, and quality control has to be applied
before release of the linkage under UMBEL's flag (within the namespace ;) ).

However, the best solution as time goes would be to create a user
interface to add, change and remove such linkage.

Thanks!

Take care,

Fred