Re: Can we afford to offer SPARQL endpoints when we are successful? (Was "linked data hosted somewhere")

Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Take a look at Java conferences or Adobe MAX. How many times do these
> guys question their decisions in public?
> NONE.
Um, Java Community Process?

If you think that there has been no open discussion of the technical
design decisions or business models or standardisation or control of the
direction of either Java or Flex/Flash then you must be viewing the web
through a very small aperture.

 > Because they know it is suicide to do so.
 > The dynamic that follows is more or less this:
 > "If XXX has room for doubts about tech YYY, and he knows so much more
 > than I do, then... why bother?"
Any technology broad enough to be interesting has a community around it
with a spectrum of opinion. You might equally well suppose that your
customers would argue that any tech YYY that doesn't engender any
difference of opinions is too narrowly supported to be commercially
viable. Debate is a positive sign, not a negative one.

Ian

Ian Dickinson   http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Ian_Dickinson
HP Laboratories Bristol          mailto:ian.dickinson@hp.com
Hewlett-Packard Limited        Registered No: 690597 England
Registered Office:      Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN