Re: Can we afford to offer SPARQL endpoints when we are successful? (Was "linked data hosted somewhere")

Hugh

I agree, it's all about critical mass.

One of the things that I realized is that we are now in the "creating LOD"
stage. However, who has been creating or "opening" this data? The SW
community has been doing it by themselves, and we can not expect them to do
it always. Obviously the reason for this is because it is not a simple task
to do.

So there is an obvious chicken and egg problem. Why would people want to
open their data. What is their benefit. But in a way, it is not a chicken
and egg problem any more, because there already exist LOD!

In my american mentality of getting things done now... I consider that we
should start getting into the "consuming LOD" stage. How? Well that is why
we came up with SQUIN. Is it the best solution? I dont know? Is it
scalabable? Not yet. Is it ambitious? Yes. But we need to start with
something now because there is sufficient data out there that can be
queried, consumed and used! Once developers realize the potential of LOD,
then the cycle continues both ways: in a creating and consuming stage.

One of the importante things is that we need to make the "creating LOD"
stage as easy as possible! That is what I am interested (my research) and
what the W3C XG RDB2RDF is doing.

My two cents, while I am thinking of the turkey I will be having tonight.
Happy Thanksgiving to all

Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student

Research Assistant
Dept. of Computer Sciences