Re: Size matters -- How big is the danged thing

Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Kingsley,
>
> On 22 Nov 2008, at 17:09, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> LOD warehouses have a clear set of characteristics:
>>
>> 1. Static (due to periodic Extract and Load aspect of RDF production)
>> 2. Presumed to be less questionable by some re. license terms
>>
>> Dynamically generated Linked Data via wrappers also have their
>> characteristics:
>>
>> 1. Dynamic (RDF generated "on the fly")
>> 2. Presume to be questionable by some re. license terms
>>
>> Is the initial dichotomy I espoused still false in reality?
>
> Yes it is still false. There are plenty of LOD datasets that don't fit
> into your classification at all because they have on-the-fly generated
> RDF and have no IP or licensing issues whatsoever.
fwiw -
LOD warehouses have a clear set of characteristics:

1. Static (due to periodic Extract and Load aspect of RDF production)
2. Subjectively assumed to IP claim safe

Dynamically generated Linked Data via wrappers also have their
characteristics:

1. Dynamic (RDF generated "on the fly")
2. IP vulnerabilities (that are inherently subjective)

> Static vs. dynamic is about implementation techniques. Paying
> attention to licensing issues is a completely orthogonal issue. I
> really don't know where you get the idea that these two questions are
> the same. They are not.
My focal point is: what are we counting? Stuff in a warehouse or stuff
generated "on the fly".  You can count whats in a warehouse, but you
can't count (in a meaningful way) what's generated "on the fly" unless
you can count all the information resources on the Web.

Anyway,  I think we close this matter as either conclusion (true/false
dichotomy or stats) have limited value (imho). I am much more interested
in what is now achievable as a result of the Linked Data that is now
part of the Web :-)

Kingsley

> Cheers,
> Richard