Re: Using Linking Open Data datasets

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:57:51 +0100
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
To: "Peter Ansell" <ansell.peter@gmail.com>

Peter,

On 29 May 2008, at 22:10, Peter Ansell wrote:
> It is a very good idea IMO to start putting sparql endpoints into RDF
> descriptions of datasets. If you also indicate a typical triple
> pattern that can be found at that endpoint/graph tuple you instantly
> enable basic distributed sparql based on SPARQL GRAPH, where you
> derive the information from a markup and not the expertise of the
> querier.
>
> I think providing descriptions at the level of each SPARQL named graph
> available at different endpoints is appropriate if people use GRAPHS
> for macroscopic categorisation and not use a different graph for each
> URI they loaded for instance. I know there is no standard governing
> the use of SPARQL GRAPH's but it would be nice to have at least large
> blobs available where you are most likely to find data matching a
> triple pattern, whether it be DARQ's predicate idea (bad IMO) or some
> combination of predicates with subjects and objects.

A partial solution to this are Semantic Sitemaps [1]. They provide for
discovery of SPARQL endpoints to RDF datasets, but don't have the
detailed descriptions. There is a way of defining a dataset URI
though, which could be used to provide additional meta-information in
RDF.

Richard

[1] http://sw.deri.org/2007/07/sitemapextension/