Re: Using Linking Open Data datasets

Hi Michael,

Hausenblas, Michael wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for this feedback! As you know I'm aware of UMBEL, but have to
> admit I was not aware of the fact that it might be the key to the
> solution. I guess I should do my homework more properly ;)
>
> I'm happy that it seems I'm not the only one contemplating about this
> issue. However, I'd appreciate thoughts from others as well. There might
> be a simpler solution to the problem which I just do not happen to see.

Well, it all depends on what one defines as the "problem" and
what one thinks is "simple".

We defined the UMBEL "problem" as how to provide linkable context
to different datasets and instances (named entities).

Given that "problem" we think we have it about as "simple" as
possible given the semantics demanded, the breadth of context,
while introducing the least amount of new vocabulary [1].

I guess it all depends on what is one's world view and the
problems chosen for attention. :)

While it is true that to use UMBEL one must pick linkable subject
concepts from a pre-determined list of 21 K, there is also real
power from firstly, context, and then, secondly, "exploding the
domain" [2].

Thanks, Mike

[1] http://www.umbel.org/new_site/vocabulary.html
[2]