Re: Linked Data in blog post from TimBL about Semantic Web in the news

Kingsley,

On 28 Mar 2008, at 11:50, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> As for the quest for the killer application, I remain of the opinion
> that "Linked Data" via de-referencable URIs is the killer
> application of the Semantic Web vision. Just as "Linked Documents"
> via de-referencable URLs is the killer application of the Document
> Web.

I agree that linked data is the killer technical capability of the
Semantic Web.

I disagree strongly about linked data being a "killer app".

Linked data is not an application. It's one of several technical
capabilities offered by the Semantic Web technology stack. The
capabilities *enable* applications. But they *are* not applications.

Don't mistake your toolbox for your product or service.

The question how to bring linked data to the end user, be it in a
corporate or web environment, has still not been successfully
answered. The killer app is somewhere around there.

Richard