Re: bbc-programmes.dyndns.org

On Jun 21, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Peter Ansell wrote:

> 2008/6/22 Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>:
>> The target of foaf:page is a thing, a web page.
>>
>> If you write a literal string, you are saying the foaf page is
>> that string.
>> That's not what you want to say.
>
> Not if you type it with xsd:anyURI...

The you are saying the page is an xsd:anyURI, not a web page.

> Is there no separation allowed between the web and the semantic web
> really?

Need there be?

> I thought the semantic web was based on logic not web structures?

Where did you get that idea?

> The semantic web doesn't gain anything from the result of that
> page, which clearly has an
> alternative semantic representation available that you are already
> looking at when you see the foaf:page (or whatever predicate allows
> literals) statement.

It isn't about the result of what you fetch so much as it is speaking
clearly, as I said earlier. The domain of foaf:page is a document.
Neither a string nor an xsd:anyURI is a document. End of story.

> If you accept that the ontology you are using puts xsd:anyURI typed
> literals into a given field it is perfectly meaningful to use the
> string as you do any other URI string,

If you use another ontology than foaf, with a different relation
whose domain is an xsd:anyURI, and that relation is documented in
such a way as to make sense, then sure. I don't happen to see what is
gained by doing that.

> just in a context which won't be interfered with, or interfere
> itself with, the logic based semantic
> web rules.

I don't know what you mean by "interfered with" or what connection
you are making between this particular choice and logic based semantic
web rules. It seems to me that the main benefit of using foaf:page
here is that a lot of people know what it is supposed to mean.

>> The web page is
>>
>> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b07kw.html> (the thing that
>> the URI
>> denotes)
>
> It isn't an RDF Resource any more than my street and suburb address
> though, it is a simple human based locator which doesn't really have a
> need or want to be an RDF Resource IMO.

In both the case of the house, and the case of the web page, there is
the resource - the house and the web page - and there is the address
of the house and of the web page (also resources, but different
ones). In discussion, one says different things about the address and
the thing. For instance,

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b07kw.html" has 45 characters.
or <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b07kw.html> uses the
stylesheet <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/r/23870/stylesheets/
decor.css>
or "http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b07kw.html" is a name for
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b07kw.html>

"32 vassar avenue, cambridge, ma, usa" has 36 characters or
<the MIT Stata Center> foaf:depiction <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Image:Wfm_stata_center.jpg>
or "32 vassar avenue, cambridge, ma, usa"  entered into google maps,
will locate <the MIT Stata Center>

> It is a coincidence IMO that it is defined in the same way that RDF
> Resources are, and it isn't
> useful to mix everything up by presuming that URL's of web pages are
> useful as RDF Resources any more than arbitrary string literals.

First, in the RDF world, everything is an rdf:resource, including
rdf:Literals. So they are "mixed up" already. While there were
perhaps mistakes made in RDF, that web pages are considered resources
is most certainly not one of them. Finally, I'll point out once again
that the issue here isn't what is or is not a "good" resource. The
issue is speaking clearly. If you want to talk about the literal, by
all means do so, and if you want to talk about the web page,
likewise. But don't confused one with the other.

-Alan