Re: The king is dressed in void

Giovanni,

On Jun 13, 2008, at 1:27 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> Licence: yes i agree, it will be added to the sitemap extention much
> like it happens in microformats already.
> if you want to use RDF i believe this is what you're looking for
> http://validator.creativecommons.org/

yes, especially for LOD. In our case, we'll have to provide means of
restriction and even billing (when SemWIQ gets integrated into Grid
middleware - our requirement is a middleware for virtual data
integration in the Grid). However, because I want SemWIQ being as
generic as possible and also usable as a general data integration
middleware, I want to re-use as much as possible and build on
standards to be compatible to LOD/WOD.

> Statistics:
>
> i'd tend to see this use case as a low level one that concerns
> implementation of distributed sparql (an interesting aspect however!).

sure. That's why I would extend voiD and maybe even Scuvo [1] for my
purposes.

> It seems strange at least to ask people to write some triples to say
> how many triples they have when a sparql endpoint is there just to
> answer you any query you might want?

that's why I said, it's just because of performance.
At the moment my DataSourceMonitor uses a { [] a rdfs:Class } query to
get classes of a dataset and then it iterates over classes to fetch
instance statistics: count (*) where { [] a c_i } - this can be done
remotely. However, for good cost-based optimization I need histograms
for any class/property[/range] combination. RDFStats will run directly
(and "nice") at a SPARQL endpoint to generate such histograms - at
least in my case. Query federation for >20 public SPARQL endpoints is
not feasible anyway with acceptable performance if you have many joins.

Sorry for the late answer,
Andy

[1] http://sw.joanneum.at/scovo/schema.html

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69
http://www.langegger.at