Re: Library of Congress Subject Headings as SKOS Linked Data

From: Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:08:04 -0400
To: "Houghton,Andrew" <houghtoa@oclc.org>
Cc: "SWD Working SWD" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, public-lod@w3.org

Thanks for the detailed comments Andrew, I've responded inline below:

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Houghton,Andrew <houghtoa@oclc.org> wrote:
> You might find what we have done for our Terminology Services project applicable or adaptable to your situation.  One aspect of the service is that a resource can return multiple representations, e.g., HTML, JSON, RDF or XML.  Each representation has its own URI based on the TAG finding in [1]:
> http://example.org/content/resource.html
> http://example.org/content/resource.json
> http://example.org/content/resource.rdf
> http://example.org/content/resource.xml

In fact this is pretty much exactly how lcsh.info works as well. In
addition to content negotiating at:

You can request a specific representation with:

And have linked them via the HTML display using <link> elements, for example:

        href="http://lcsh.info/sh85118553.rdf" />

Thanks for bringing this up. I think it would be nice to make these
more noticeable and actionable by putting anchors to them in the HTML.

There has been some activity at LC to establish something like
application/marc+xml for the MARCXML format. I'm not sure it makes
much sense to do this for various flavors of rdf, since rdf isn't
bound to a particular schema and can intermix multiple vocabularies by

PS. it sure would be nice if the OCLC vocabularies were available on
the public web, but I imagine you've heard that before.