Re: Geohash for events

Jun Zhao wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> I really like the fact that there are both timeline and map view for
> the data. But, how much it would take for giving both views in one
> window?
>
> We have an application where we want to allow classics scholars to
> browse artifacts by both time line and geo-line at the same time. Any
> suggestions, guys?
Just a case of using the OpenLink Ajax Toolkit  [1] :-)

The RDF Browser are just an example of an application built to
demonstrate the Ajax Database Connectivity Layer of OAT (i.e. direct
access over Javascript and HTP for SQL, XML, and RDF) and the OAT's data
aware controls that use the Ajax DB layer [2].

The Form Designer is sort of like ACCESS in that you bind controls to
data sources, set aesthetic attributes, and drag and drop on to your
design palette.  If the demos and source code aren't clear enough, I'll
try to knock-up a mesh-up movie based on the Form Designer and RDF
Linked Data.

OAT is an Open Source Project [3].

Links:

1. http://oat.openlinksw.com/presentations/overview
2. http://demo.openlinksw.com/oatdemo
3. http://sourceforge.net/projects/oat

Kingsley

> Jun
>
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>> Bernard Vatant wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi masa

>>> Really cool. The URI format looks perfect to me now and exactly what
>>> I imagined you would do :-) .

>>> It is, if users have to concatenate the URI themselves by going to
>>> geohash, searching the place, copying the geohash id in the service
>>> namespace, add the time interval in conformant date format, add the
>>> event URI. Speak about "user experience" ... for geeks like you and
>>> me, but "ordinary" people will never do it that way.
>>>
>>> But it you (or someone else) provide a smart bookmarklet (Faviki has
>>> given me a lot of ideas for that matter) to use in your browser from
>>> the page of the event
>>> (http://www.inria.fr/actualites/colloques/2008/ist08/), where the
>>> user can call geohash via a geocoder, enter the dates using a
>>> calendar applet, and grab the name from the page title ... et voilą ...
>>> The service would return a page as yours, with the RDF description
>>> and a permanent URI. And maybe call "au passage" the geonames
>>> service to add the neighbouring geonames features, yahoo or google
>>> to add sponsored links, whatever ...
>>>
>>> This would be *practical* ... You could even "au passage" dump the
>>> created event in a backend data store, etc.
>>>
>>> Say what?
>>
>> URI are to be felt, experienced, rather than seen. Yes, the
>> extensions, plugins, plain old anchor text, and the like are the way
>> to go, the Geohase URI scheme are currently implemented is really cool!
>>
>> I've just opened an example URI in a Browser Session
>> <http://demo.openlinksw.com/rdfbrowser/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kanzaki.com%2Fns%2Fgeo%2Fu07t4qf8j%3A2008-09-28_2008-10-03%3BINRIA_IST_2008%3Furi%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.inria.fr%2Factualites%2Fcolloques%2F2008%2Fist08%2F>:-)
>> Note, that the Map and TimeLine control provide appropriate views.
>>

>> Kingsley

President & CEO