RE: Library of Congress Subject Headings as SKOS Linked Data

From: Tom Heath <Tom.Heath@talis.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:52:10 +0100
To: "Rob Styles" <Rob.Styles@talis.com>, "Ed Summers" <ehs@pobox.com>
Cc: "SWD Working SWD" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, <public-lod@w3.org>

Hey Rob,

(BTW, nice work Ed :))

> These links are to the concept URIs, but I've been wondering
> if, in a HTML document, they should be links to the HTML
> directly. There are many pros and cons of both approaches
> that I can think of and I haven't come to any conclusion
> either way. What do you think?

FWIW, when a bunch of us from Talis, Garlik, Dbpedia, Dbtune/Queen Mary,
FOAF Project, etc were down at the BBC in March we debated this issue at
some length. Opinions/preferences varied, but the rationale for holding
one preference over another was fairly tenuous IIRC. The conclusion we
came to was that we don't yet know enough about how this data is
being/will be used to identify best practice.

For Revyu, from HTML pages we always link to the URI of the thing
itself, rather than to the HTML document about the thing; but as I said,
opinions vary :)

Tom.