Re: ANN: BBC Music Linked Data Goodness

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

On 30/7/08 18:31, "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:

> - At the content-negotiated URIs of form /music/artists/{id}, add a
> Content-Location header that gives the URI of the selected variant
> (e.g. /music/artists/{id}.html if HTML was selected)

We are considering building this directly into the framework behind
/programmes and /music, so it should happen sometime shortly.

> - Maybe add <link rel="alternate"> headers to the HTML for the other,
> non-RDF data formats as well (XML, JSON)

The /programmes team are building this functionality into the framework so
it happens automatically for each page based on the formats that the
controller action accepts. This will make it much easier to maintain as
there are XML, YAML and JSON representations for all of our recourses (e.g.
releases, appearson, relatedartists, links, wikipedia, labels - see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/developers for more details).

> - Add a foaf:page link to the RDF that points back to the HTML (e.g.
> to </music/artists/{id}.html>)

We're hoping to get a release out today, and we'll be adding that in.

> - No RDF yet for releases and songs? :-(

The issue is that MusicBrainz doesn't currently model the notion of a
"cultural item" for songs and releases - only the actual physical release,
so each song/release appears multiple times. I'm sure we will discuss this
issue in more detail on BBC Radio Labs blog shortly.

> - If I dereference the URI of a SoloMusicArtist who is a band member,
> then the RDF doesn't contain a pointer back to the band. The HTML has
> the pointer. Example:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6953c4db-7214-4724-a140-e87550bde420

That should happen today also.

> - Is there any way to search for a specific artist, by name? In the
> HTML interface? It might be useful to have some way to get back those
> search results in RDF as well.

We will be addressing search over the coming weeks, and we will certainly
investigate including RDF search results. For now, the best bet is to use
MusicBrainz. I've created a bookmarklet that makes it easy to switch between
the BBC Music site and MusicBrainz, you can read about it here:
http://metade.org/blog/2008/07/30/bbc-musicmusicbrainz-bookmarklet/

Regards,

Patrick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/