Re: Granular dereferencing ( prop by prop ) using REST + LinkedData; Ideas?

Hey Aldo,

On Monday 29 December 2008 16:51:05 Aldo Bucchi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am in the process of LODing a dataset in which certain properties
> are generated on the fly ( props derived from aggregate calculations
> over the dataset, remote calls, etc ). I would like to let the clients
> choose which of these expensive properties they need on demand and on
> a granular level.
> [..]

What about the Expect header field [1] for HTTP requests?

According to the spec, a client may express its expectations regarding the
behaviour of the server with this field.

May be you could use this field as follows. To request the RDF representation
of a resource with expensive ex:dynamic1 properties a client may issue a GET
request

 GET http://ex.com/a

with

 Expect: expectedproperties = "ex:dynamic1"

The server evaluates the expectedproperties parameter and computes the
properties expected by the client. For requests without the Expect header
field the server responds with an RDF description that contains only
inexpensive properties.

Greetings,
Olaf

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.20