Re: Exercise: LOD questions (R)†was ( Do we need another list(s)? )

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> This is a series of questions that I received from a member in our
> Semantic Web Austin group. I can't seem to answer all of them
> thoroughly. Hope we can get more answers on this and we can start
> creating material for the FAQ I am proposing.
>
> ----------------------
>
> These are some things I'd like to see in an FAQ. Here are a few
> questions from the
> point of view of a business person who is vaguely aware of LOD but not
> clear on its use:
>
> - My company has recently released an API for access to structured
> (database) data about 55 million companies and 35 million people. Do
> you think I should release this in an LOD format? How would my
> customers benefit.
Your customers will benefit from the granular access that Hyperdata
oriented linking accords.

LOD is a community moniker for a collection structured data sets that
are navigable using Hyperdata [1] linking.

 From a high level perspective, Hyperdata linking is a Hypertext linking
mechanism that connects entities to entities within and across their
host containers (documents). It is distinguished from Hypertext linking
by way of its entity level focus as opposed to container level focus.

Relationships between the People places and other things in you database
will be accessible to structured querying by your customers without the
need to them to programmatically perform the same from the output of
your Web Services.

Your API is a DBMS API, the DBMS in this case is where you value lies.
Thus, the more granular the access to the data, the more valuable your
service be to your target audience.

> - Can you give a use case for mixing LOD with privately supplied data
> (from my companies own data sources or from user-generated content) to
> produce a useful application?

Yes, think about the demographic data in the public domain which is now
in structured from courtesy of LOD. For instance, basic market research
is enhanced if you can mesh internal data from you CRM and related
systems with data about countries and competitors etc..

The CIA Factbook, Freebase, Wikipedia, Word Bank etc.. are examples of
structured data sources that can be easily meshed with your internal
data sources courtesy of Linked Data.

> - What commercial applications are there that use LOD?

OpenLink Software provides a broad range of products that natively
incorporate Linked Data. The range goes from a DBMS (Virtuoso) platform
all the way up to a Distributed Collaborative Application Suite (ODS)
with many other pieces in between.  Linked Data is fundamentally a
feature of all OpenLink products, because when all is said an done
"Linked Data" is a feature (re. Enterprise or Web solutions).

> - What are some of the major limitations of today's software that
> would be improved upon by using LOD?
Inaccessibility to data in granular form.

Data Access technologies have existed in various forms since the advent
of the modern IT era. What hasn't been achieved until the emergence of
the Linked Data meme is the ability to  Name and Dereference structured
data in a totally platform independent manner. You can name a record and
dereference [2] a representation of the description of that record via
HTTP; something that has simply not been achieved with such openness in
any other computing realm until now.

> - How does LOD fit into the bigger Semantic Web picture?
LOD is a moniker for a community and its output.

Linked Data is the foundation of the Semantic Web vision. Without the
granular access to structured data that it accords, the vision remains
mercurial and somewhat incomprehensible.

> Write a
> seperate sentence or two for each of the following terms that states
> how that topic relates to LOD:
> RDF
RDF is the framework for describing resources (data objects or entities)
is structured form.
> OWL
Is the data dictionary language for Linked Data.

> Resource
An Object or Entity.
> URI
Object or Entity Identifier [3]

> Ontologies
Data Dictionary.
> Agent
Client that consumes a service on behalf of someone or something else.

> Service discovery

> Triples
How records are created in
Entity-Attribute-Value oriented databases.

RDF is basically an implementation of Entity-Attribute-Value [4] DBMS
technology  .

> Example: "RDF is a standard format that can be used to publish LOD
> datasets."
>
> - Okay, I'd like to use LOD for a pilot of a commercial project. I'm
> going to include 1 million triples. What production-environment
> resources will I need to set up. What will my architecture include?
> Will there just be a giant RDF file or a big set of them? Will they
> just be front-ended by a web server? Will a database be needed?

You publish data in Linked Data form via a Linked Data aware / capable
server. Just as you server up Documents on the Web via a Web Server or
how you server RDBMS records up via an RDBMS server etc..

> - Can I build a proprietary closed source application that
> incorporates LOD? How would I combine free and fee-based data? I know
> how to do it with an API. How would I do it with linked data?

A proprietary application can consume Linked Data and do whatever it
chooses subject to the licensing associated with the data corpus it is
consuming.

To conclude, Linked Data is HTTP based Data Access by Reference.
Data Access by Reference has existed from day one in the computer realm.
The only difference is that it has never existed at the Wide Area
Network level in the manner delivered by HTTP via the Linked Data meme.

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdata
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereferencable_URI
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_identifier
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-Attribute-Value_model
5. http://tinyurl.com/568y9g - My Linked Overview Presentation given at
Linked Data Planet (remix of bits from my session & TimBL's)

Kingsley

President & CEO