Re: Do we need another list(s)? Was "other things"

Dear listers,

I have taken the liberty of singling out three issues that I have found disturbingly lacking in the context of getting the semantic web on rails and moving, in particular beyond the pockets of SemWebers out there who know their stuff.

It is time to get the message out to the OTHER users of data, information and semantically linked open data sets.

There needs to be more done in the fields of outreach and education and making basic documents available to all newcomers to the field of semantic technologies.

Aside from the numerous wikis and similar intent repositories I have yet to find something like www.arxiv.org for the Semantic Web, or a specialized semantic "forge", or even a semantic applications directory.

Remember that sourceforge.net, the largest such initiative is a COMMERCIAL enterprise.

My organization is building repositories for a small subset of all the information out there, namely sustainable development, together with the Ekolibrium Foundation in the Netherlands and I am wondering why I haven't found a single archive online with good papers and publications on the Semantic Web, based on open access notion, like www.arxiv.org.

I live in a country, and with me millions of academically educated folks, where we have no direct access to good libraries, where books and journals can be borrowed, looked up and photocopies made of key articles for research..

This was one of the main defining issues why Ekolibrium was created in the first place.

My question is, with all the nuts and bolts people subscribing to the hundreds of semantic web mailing lists, why  has no one ever come up with the idea of creating an open access archive for outreach and education, and a virtual library/repository of open access licensed papers, publications and general documents?

We could readily adapt the arxiv.org format to suit the field of semantic web technologies.

On such a site we could also create links to journals, papers, publications like proceedings of conferences and hardcover books, which are not directly open access.

If we want e.g. a group of field biologists studying e.g. birds in the South Pacific or Indonesia to be able to create semantically enabled data sets or digital repositories online, where will they find the information which suits them, without having to go to the nearest library equipped with basic documentation?

How do we expect to "sell" the rest of the potential users out there on the semantic web and its advantages, if there no example repositories built for the inner core community of the semantic web itself?

This issue is not unique to the semantic web community, but appears in any specialized area of science and technology and in particularly where applications or products aimed at identified groups of consumers are involved.

The group of people filling in the gaps of outreach, education and related themes is rather small, and in my humble opinion may prove to be a major bottleneck in the near future.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info
NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for Project Paradigm
www.ngo-opensource.org
MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
www.metaportal.info
SemanticWebSoftware, part of NGO-Opensource to enable SW technologies in the Metaportal project
www.semanticwebsoftware.org