Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

From: Max Wilson <mlw05r@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:04:44 +0100
Cc: Michiel Hildebrand <Michiel.Hildebrand@cwi.nl>, public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3c.org
To: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>

> I tend to think that contemporary graph-based data browsers either
> fly the user at 50,000 feet and show her the whole world in one
> window below (render a huge data graph as a huge visual graph), or
> leave her at the street level to wander around on foot (single
> resource view).

i tend to think of this differentiation as browsers for ontologists
and real people respectively. graph visualisations etc are typically
used by people working on ontologies, as opposed to people that are
doing typical information seeking activities, like they would on
google. I think parallax is potentially the nearest thing to a
semantic web application that my mom could and maybe would use.

> I'm just wishing to provide her a car. Perhaps the good thing is
> that the car doesn't come with a destination built in. (It'd be
> quite bad in real life if you need different cars to go grocery
> shopping and to go to work, for example.)
>

> David

n - max wilson
e - mlw05r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
w - www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~mlw05r