Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:41:49 -0400
To: David Huynh <dfhuynh@alum.mit.edu>
Cc: public-lod@w3.org, semantic-web@w3c.org

> I've been exploring some user interface ideas for browsing graphs (of
> data in Freebase) in a user-friendly way, which I think might be
> applicable to some of the data that you have. The screencast should explain:
>
>     http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/
>
> Please let me know what you think!

Very nice.

I haven't been following freebase/metaweb at all.  I did a little
research after watching your presentation, but I can't quite figure out
how relevant parallax is for the Semantic Web.  It looks to me like it
could be turned into an open/standard web system (a Semantic Web
Browser) but it is not one right now.  Perhaps the changes would be only
in the backend; maybe none of the GUI code would have to change.  Have I
understood that right?  If it's true, what's the legal status of the
code.  Can someone else turn it into a Semantic Web browser?  And/or: do
you have any plans to?

    -- Sandro