RE: BSBM With Triples and Mapped Relational Data in Virtuoso

From: Ivan Mikhailov <imikhailov@openlinksw.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:57:46 +0700
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, "Orri Erling (by way of Ted Thibodeau Jr)" <erling@xs4all.nl>

Hello Andy,

> SPARQL already has parameterized queries!  Because it has explicit
(named) variables, these can be used to set variables scoped just
outside the query string.

I'd like to know in advance that some variables should be bound in the
environment so I'd like to have some way to distinguish between "local"
and "external" variables. Indeed, it is technically possible to compile
the statement once for each distinct set of variables in environment; I
simply do not like that :) Tastes differ, of course, but I'd like to
have the environment "double-checked" and be able to compare "expected"
and "actual" lists of passed parameters. Yes, that sort of check will
add extra syntax (or extra pragmas) to the language, making queries less
compact, but I prefer to type few more chars if this will result in
accurate diagnostics of a protocol error in a distributed system.

Best Regards,

Ivan Mikhailov,
OpenLink Software.