Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

On 2014-09-16 13:56, Ghislain Atemezing wrote:

> Hi Frans,
>
>> I took a brief look at QUDT (http://qudt.org/), but I have not been
>> able to find an appropriate distance quantity. So suggestions are
>> very welcome!
>
> Are you looking for this QUDT schema? http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#
> It comes with http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#LengthUnit,
> http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#CountingUnit and
> http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#AngleUnit

Hello Ghislain,

Let me try to write down my thoughts...
Suppose we want to have something called spatial resolution. We want it
to have a numerical value (e.g. "1.405"^^xsd:decimal) and a unit (e.g.
http://qudt.org/vocab/unit#Meter). The unit can not be fixed, because we
want to allow other appropriate units, like feet or radians. However,
inappropriate units (like kilogram or volt) should not be allowed.

I think the fact that we want to have a compound expression for spatial
resolution (value + unit) means that a class needs to be introduced,
locn:SpatialResolution for instance. Now I wonder if there is a nice
class in QUDT of which this class could be a subclass, something from
which follows that the spatial resolution has a number and a
specififcation of a unit. If we only consider cartesian spatial
reference systems, it could be http://qudt.org/vocab/quantity#Length.
But then it would not be possible to express the spatial resolution as a
number of degrees or radians.

Could or should we make use of a combination of
http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#LengthUnit and
http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#AngleUnit?

Greetings,
Frans