Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

On 2014-09-11 1:01, Andrea Perego wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> I have the feeling that in a vocabulary about location and addresses a
>> concept about another subject, or a more general subject, should not be
>> introduced. I think that would interfere with the modularity of the semweb.
>> But, as always, I am willing to be convinced otherwise :-)
>>
>> It could be that there is a need to have a general concept of resolution (in
>> any dimension or combination of dimensions), but I have the feeling such a
>> definition should then be housed in a more general or higher level ontology.
>> By the way, I would not be surprised if the concept of resolution can be
>> found to apply to other things than space and time.
> Indeed. And the DWBP WG is also working on a vocabulary concerning
> data quality and granularity that may contribute to this (e.g., by
> recommending/defining how to specify the notion of "level of detail").
That is good to know! In case we do arrive at agreement on a property
for spatial resolution, we should take care to make it align with more
general definitions once they are ready. Perhaps it is good to make a
note of this somewhere (using vs:morefinfo?) in the vocabulary.

> [snip]
>> I did wonder if it would be a good idea to enable having a global spatial
>> resolution and (as subproperties for instance) separate resolutions for:
>>
>> the X direction (for cartesian reference systems)
>> the Y direction (for cartesian reference systems)
>> Longitude (for geographic reference systems)
>> Latitude (for geographic reference systems)
>> Elevation (for cartesian and geographic reference systems)
> Do you have any specific use case in mind?
Not a very specific one. It is just that I can foresee a need to be more
detailed in specifications of spatial resolution. But for now maybe it
is best just to keep the possibility to define more specialized
definitions of spatial resolution, without actually doing it.

Greetings,
Frans

Frans Knibbe
Geodan