Re: A proposal for two additional properties for LOCN

Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote on 05-09-2014
12:50:51:

> 3. For (spatial) resolution, I think we should find a way to specify
> arbitrary units of measure - I wouldn't exclude a priori the
> possibility of encoding them as literals (e.g., 5m, 100x100px).
> If the spatial resolution is a number, some very convenient ways of
> using it can be thought of. For example:
> "Give me the geometry of the city of Paris with the highest spatial
> resolution"
> "Give me all datasets about vegetation in Poland with a spatial
> resolution between 100 and 500 meters"
> Now if the range of spatialResolution is left unspecified, wouldn't
> that discourage this kind of usage? And wouldn't it discourage data
> publishers to specify the spatial resolution is a useful way?
> If the spatialResolution is not a number with a specified unit
> (meters), I am afraid that it can not be used effectively for
> automated data processing, that it would always require a human to
> make sense of the value.

+1 for being specific about how to use the value so automation can be
applied!

maybe the way goodrelations handles it might give you inspiration:
http://www.heppnetz.de/ontologies/goodrelations/v1.html#QuantitativeValue

There you can specify a unit of measurement, this would allow automatic
conversion between e.g. ft and m

Met Vriendelijke Groet / With Kind Regards
Bart van Leeuwen

# twitter: @semanticfire
# netage.nl
# http://netage.nl

# Enschedepad 76
# 1324 GJ Almere
# The Netherlands
# tel. +31(0)36-5347479

> Regards,
> Frans

> Andrea
>

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:22 AM,  <Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:

> Ø  As for using xsd:anyURI, I am happy with it (I would probably prefer
> having a class CRS with instances for it
>
> +1
>
> Yes – I do not like to see anyURI as the range for anything, except for
> property whose job is to assign an identifier.
>
> If you want to defer specifying a range, then make it an
owl:ObjectProperty
> .

Ghislain