From: Frans Knibbe | Geodan [mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl]
Sent: 23 May 2014 11:40
To: public-locadd@w3.org Mailing list
Subject: space and time

Hello,

When reading and talking about geographical Linked Data I sometimes come across the term 'spatiotemporal data', meaning that data are dependent on both space and time. I wonder if temporal aspects of data should be considered when we are thinking about how to express location data in the Semantic Web.

I understand that for many spatial data the temporal aspects are really important, but I think temporal aspects could be equally important to data about postage stamps or model trains or beer, or whichever other topics one can have data about. In all cases, I don't think it is necessary to think of special ways of expressing the time dimension in the data. It seems to me that general vocabularies and/or data types for expressing time should suffice. In other words, I think that time and space are orthogonal subjects and that vocabularies about space (location) can be kept separate from vocabularies about time (For normal everyday data, that is. Cosmological data are another matter).

What do you think about this?

Regards,
Frans

________________________________
Frans Knibbe
Geodan
President Kennedylaan 1
1079 MB Amsterdam (NL)

T +31 (0)20 - 5711 347
E frans.knibbe@geodan.nl<mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
www.geodan.nl<http://www.geodan.nl> | disclaimer<http://www.geodan.nl/disclaimer>

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Adanac Drive
Southampton SO16 0AS