Re: LOCN extension for dataset metadata (Re: A real world example: Dutch registry of buildings and addresses)

On 2014-05-15 16:14, Andrea Perego wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Issue 3: CRS: I can think of no way to specify the CRS used in the data. An
>> extension of LOCN to enable this would be welcome, I think.
>>
>> +1 from me.
>>
>> I suppose it is up to the volunteers to get it done :-)
> I've just created a draft page in the wiki on a possible LOCN
> extension for dataset metadata:
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/locadd/wiki/LOCN_extension:_Metadata
>
> I'm now going to add a related use case concerning INSPIRE metadata.
Good work!

> @Frans, I wonder whether you would be interested in being the editor
> and coordinator for work on this extension.
Yes, I will give it a try.  I have just added two pieces to the page, to
show my dedication :-)

It also made me think: Is this really about an extension of LOCN? I
would think it is more about finding best practices for expressing
metadata that are specific to spatial datasets. Perhaps it is possible
to do that without any extension of the LOCN vocabulary. And perhaps it
is not, like the case of specification of the CRS. But if the LOCN
vocabulary were to be extended with something to denote a CRS, would
that extension need to be only for metadata?

About the necessity of thinking about how to handle temporal aspects of
a data set: I will make a new thread about that subject in this list.

Regards,
Frans

> Thanks!
>
> Andrea