Re: Using the core location vocabulary to query national address data

Frans, all,

On 13 June 2014 16:54, Frans Knibbe | Geodan <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl> wrote:

> This got me thinking:
>
> 1) If one of the goals of Location Core is to harmonize worldwide addresses,
> perhaps it is a good idea to consider having something like an address
> template. The various bits that can define an address are already there, but
> in order to build an address that could be used in mail traffic for
> instance, one needs to know about the order in which address components
> should be placed. For the Netherlands that would be something like
>
> <thoroughfare> <locator designator (first level)>  {locator designator
> (second level)} {locator designator (third level)}
> <postCode> <postName>
> <adminUnitL1>
>
> Could it be that something like this exists somewhere? I don't believe such
> a thing is part of the INSPIRE specifications.

Natural Language Generation (NLG) systems have such mechanisms
already, where templates specify language-specific syntactic and
grammar details and have slots that are filled in by
language-independent data. Some of these systems, such as NaturalOWL,
are also specifically geared towards generating text from Semantic Web
data.

In NaturalOWL, these templates are represented as annotation
properties over the RDF data. Different templates can be defined for
each language, but this can extended to different (country x language)
pairs to, for example, capture:
 - the French rendering of an address in Belgium
 - the Dutch rendering of an address in Belgium
 - the Dutch rendering of an address in the Netherlands
etc.

If you could send me sample RDF and the wished-for textual result, I
can try to check if the current mechanism and representation is
adequate with any modification or extension.