Re: Disjointedness of FRBR classes

From: Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:17:46 +0100
To: public-lld@w3.org
On 30.10.2011 20:07, Tom Baker wrote:

> By "models", do you mean formal representations of the models in RDF, e.g.:
>  http://iflastandards.info/ns/fr/frbr/frbrer/frbrer.rdf - FRBRer
>  http://www.cidoc-crm.org/rdfs/FRBR1.0.1.rdfs - FRBRoo
>  http://vocab.org/frbr/core.rdf  - Ian Davis
>
> Or do you mean the texts on which representations are based, e.g.:
>  http://www.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.pdf = http://www.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.htm - FRBRer
>  http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/wgfrbr/FRBRoo_V9.1_PR.pdf - FRBRoo
>  http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html - Ian Davis
>  -- based on http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.htm ??

That's splitting hairs. The only relevant representation of FRBR in RDF
is http://vocab.org/frbr/ anyway. It was the first, it is documented
best and any average developer will find this namespace, if looking for
FRBR. Everything else, explicitly this thread, is academic ivory tower
talk. If you prefer non-disjoint FRBR concepts Work, Expression,
Manifestation, and Item, just ask Ian Davis to remove this constraint.
Personally I would appreciate this modification, but the world will not
collapse, if I just use the FRBR ontology without respecting the
disjointedness constraint.

Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <jakob.voss@gbv.de>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany