Re: Linked Library Holdings/Items

From: Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:40:07 +0100
To: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Cc: public-lld@w3.org
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> IMO, there will ALWAYS be real world data that does not adhere to FRBR's
> view of resources, in part because that view is overly divisive --
> essentially, it doesn't allow you to have creators or subjects unless you
> have a Work entity defined; nor to have a language of text unless you have
> an Expression. This is overkill for most bibliographic applications.

Agreed, this is exactly why I made the "implied FRBR" properties to
work around this.  Since, for example, a bibo:Book has properties that
could be applied to a frbr:Manifestation and a frbr:Expression (and,
probably, in some some cases, frbr:Item), and the fact that these
classes are disjointed with each other, a bibo:Book (or Article or
what have you) cannot fit well into a FRBRized worldview.

So, to get around this, I made a series of properties that states that
two resources both refer to the same frbr entity (at whatever level
you need):

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonEndeavour

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonWork

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonExpression

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonManifestation

http://open.vocab.org/terms/commonItem

So, in the case of modeling Jakob's Item resource to a bibo:Document,
you could use the ov:commonManifestation property, since there is some
confidence that the bibo:Document is referring to the W->E->M stack
that would include the frbr:Manifestation that the frbr:Item belongs
to without having to go through the effort of modeling the entire
stack and relate it to the bibo:Document (somehow).

It's also useful for relating two resources (one modeled in bibo, the
other in DC, for example) that are different editions of the same work
(ov:commonWork or ov:commonExpression, depending on your confidence
level).

Anyway, that's an option.
-Ross.