Re: library patron data in RDF

From: Owen Stephens <owen@ostephens.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:10:29 +0000
Cc: <public-lld@w3.org>
To: Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@GBV.DE>
Just some thoughts/comments:

On 10 Nov 2011, at 10:10, Jakob Voss wrote:
> For this reason I was looking for
> a simple ontology to express the most relevant library patron data in
> RDF. I guess that user account information can be expressed with SIOC
> and FOAF, but some specific properties such as
>
> - due-date

This is a property of the thing borrowed rather than the borrower? Possibly could model as an event?

> - number-of-renewals
Again, property of the thing borrowed not the borrower. Is a renewal like a (newspaper etc.) subscription renewal? Are there any ontologies in that area that might help?

> - sum-of-dues
This is an amount owed for services? Would Good Relations offer a way of modelling? (opens up some interesting questions about the 'business offering' of borrowing a book... is it an offer of a service which includes a certain amount free, but then charges if you want more of the same?

> would be needed. I hesitate to create yet another library-specific
> ontology (in addition to DAIA/RDF) and I wonder why no integrated
> library system has started to use RDF. Maybe hacking it into Koha
> is a good strategy, as I do not expect any commercial vendor to do so.

Just browsing and I came across http://code.google.com/p/edcdigitlib/ which uses RDF under the hood for a 'Digital Library System' - clearly not dealing with the scenarios you are looking at here, but interesting anyway I thought

Owen