Re: a Simplified Ontology for Bibliographic Resources (SOBR)

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:05:44 -0700
To: public-lld@w3.org
Quoting Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>:

> I searched for Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" in BL and found
> dozen of URIs for it. Some are connected with owl:sameAs, but most
> have a particular number of pages and other properties like ISBN.

This example is a good one to talk about the difficulties of using
"same as" with Manifestations. FRBR had/has (?) a working group on
aggregates [1] that talks about the differences in Manifestations
based on differences in added content. Different publications of P&P
will not be exact copies because they will have, for example,
different prefaces by experts. (BTW, publishers do this in part
because it allows them to copyright that portion of an otherwise
public domain work.) The Manifestations therefore have significant
differences from a FRBR point of view (although there is still debate
about how some kinds of differences should be handled).

BTW, the International Standard Text Code[2] is designed in part for
this situation - assuming that the P&P text is the same, you could
assign the same ISTC to these Manifestations. I think that ends up
being the same as saying that these are the same Expression.

kc

[1] http://www.ifla.org/en/events/frbr-working-group-on-aggregates
[2] http://www.istc-international.org/html/

--