RE: Question about value vocabularies and range

Karen,

For the specific example of "language of text", I think that BCP-47 tags
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646> would be ideal. This would account
for language, region, and script and a few other facets of language.

It would be nice if we could figure out how to specify BCP-47 in terms
of Dublin Core. One would hope that dc:language and/or dcterms:language
could be configured somehow to accept BCP-47 tokens, but I'm not sure
how. A dc:language solution might look like this:

abox:manifestation1 a frbr:Manifestation;
	dc:language "en-US"^^tbox:BCP-47.

The tbox:BCP-47 datatype would need to be defined using XML Schema
somewhere, but it would be surprising if this was left as an exercise
for the user. Maybe someone knows if such a datatype has already been
defined for BCP-47 somewhere. I suspect not because the permutations of
language facets is quite large.

Alternately, the range on dcterms:language is set to
dcterms:LinguisticSystem, which means the object must be a URI. This
implies a solution like this:

abox:manifestation a frbr:Manifestation;
	dcterms:language tbox:en-US.

tbox:en-US a dcterms:LingusticSystem;
	rdf:value "en-US";
	rdfs:label "US English".

Again, though, I don't know if anyone has already defined this or how
they dealt with the language facet permutation problem.

I know you are asking a more abstract question, but simpler cases than
this could be boiled down the SKOS ConceptSchemes. BCP-47 seems like an
unusual and difficult case, though.

Jeff