Re: LLD@CKAN

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:

> More and more datasets relevant to our community are being released as
> linked-data. For example, Ed has recently published a great blog post which
> points at a couple of important, if not crucial ones [1].
>
> As some of you know already, our group has started a CKAN group on library
> linked data [2]. The hope is to help anyone find relevant datasets and
> accompanying descriptions, which may help them find their way into the
> growing LLD space.
>
> We found CKAN to be a really simple tool to use--see the instruction for
> "contributing" a dataset at [3]. It's also really fit for the purpose: the
> description any LLD dataset on CKAN can be pulled for updating the LOD cloud
> [4] (if tagged with "lod"), or for any more specific purpose [5].
>
> We will try to highlight the value of such a dataset inventory in our
> deliverables. But it is crucial that the community also starts using it now,
> for the benefits of all--newcomers and experts alike. We can't do all the
> work, especially if our group ceases to exist as such soon.
>
> And remember, no one needs to "own" a dataset to publish a description for
> it! CKAN is really open to anyone.

CKAN is a great tool.  As I understand it, CKAN "groups" are curated,
as opposed to "tags" which anyone can add.

What makes a data set at CKAN an LLD data set?  Is it the source (ie
it comes from a brick & mortar library), the vocabulary used, the
percentage of "library" data as opposed to other data (thus
disqualifying Freebase or DBpedia) or some other criteria?

One of the things that it seems like will become apparent over time is
that there is really very little pure "library" data. For example, the
vast majority of books aren't written by some abstract writerly
author, but by an astronomer or politician or cook or architect who
also writes on occasion.

Libraries need to be looking outward for this type of information to
link to, not inwards.

Tom