Re: LD and Redundancy

I think we're going to have to assume there will be lots of duplication of
resources describing the same thing with different identifiers (although,
hopefully interrelated) for a couple of reasons:

1) A centralized repository will never be able to keep up with everything -
there will always be nodes with resources described prior to being added to
the repository; possibly never added.  These could also spring up in
multiple places independently
2) We should not expect universal, 100% agreement on how things are
defined/described.  We don't have this now, we certainly can't expect this
to change.
3) There are lots of non-authoritative resources (subject headings, people,
class numbers, etc.)
4) A centralized repository would have to rely quite heavily on discovery
    - there's a huge danger of GIGO here (there are plenty of typos in the
historical record)
    - plenty of chances of failed searches

Couple this to the fact that (most) everybody is going to to have to
duplicate all of the data for local indexing purposes, anyway...

-Ross.