xsd or vocabulary

From: Adrian Pohl <pohl@hbz-nrw.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 21:51:14 +0100
To: <public-lld@w3.org>

I asked the general question[1] on semanticoverflow (pasted below) whether to use predicates or xsd datatypes to represent in RDF different bibliographic identifiers a record contains. It would be great if you could contribute your thoughts - on semanticoverflow or here...

All the best,

[1] http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/3572/xsd-or-vocabulary

Deutsche Nationalbibliothek (German National Library) and hbz are working on a service[2] which aims to facilitate the linking of data from different catalogues (whether library catalogues or union catalogues) by providing matching information about different records.

For this project we - amongst other things - need to link catalog entries to the bibliograhic identifiers in them. (There are a lot of identifiers in the realm of bibliographic data: widely known identifiers like ISBN, ISSN, DOI, URN, Handle, OCLC number, LCCN and many more local, regional and national identifiers. Some of them identify a bibliographic record while others identify the described bibliographic entity - which doesn't make it easier in a LOD context.)

The question here is how to represent a link in RDF from a record or a bibliographic resource to the associated identifiers. We have to decide between 1.) using individual predicates for each identifier or 2.) using the global predicate dc:identifier and characterizing the identifier more precisely through an xsd data type.

Here is an example for each approach:

1. The "predicate approach"

@prefix biro:   .
@prefix cg:     .
@prefix dc:     .

  a biro:BibliographicRecord ;
  dc:source  ;
  cg:bvn "BV035542944" ;
  cg:oclcn "991052625" ;
  ex:describes [
  cg:isbn "3-8273-2774-1"
  ] .
# ex:describes is because there is no inverse property to wdrs:describedby.
# Does anybody know an appropriate predicate for this?

2. The "datatype approach"

@prefix biro:   .
@prefix dc:    .

  a biro:BibliographicRecord ;
  dc:source  ;
  dc:identifier "BV035542944"^^xsd:BVN ;
  dc:identifier "991052625"^^xsd:OCLCN ;
  ex:describes [
  dc:identifier "3-8273-2774-1"^^xsd:ISBN
  ] .

What do you think is the way to go: Creating an XSD or a vocabulary?

[2] http://www.hbz-nrw.de/dokumentencenter/presse/pm/culturegraph_en