Re: Review of Relevant Technologies section

From: Nicolas Chauvat <nicolas.chauvat@logilab.fr>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:37:30 +0200
To: "Young\,Jeff \(OR\)" <jyoung@oclc.org>
Cc: Jon Phipps <jonp@jesandco.org>, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>, public-lld@w3.org
Hi,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:28:20PM -0400, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
> I suspect that most of us would agree a literal transform of MARC/XML into MARC/RDF would be a wasted effort.
> [...]
> It occurs to me, though, that we overlooked XSLT as a relevant technology so I added a mention of it.

I have not read the draft, so maybe the following comment is
irrelevant, but reading the above makes me think of
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-rdb-direct-mapping-20110324/ that does a
direct mapping from a database schema to RDF, then uses SPARQL
CONSTRUCT as transformation rules to generate rdf triples with
well-known vocabularies.

It could be an interesting approach to jump right into RDF-land from
wherever you stand, including MARC/XML, then use the common tools
available to manipulate RDF to make the data easier to reuse.

Hope this helps,

--
Nicolas Chauvat