Re: LLD mention

I'm still absorbing the insights made by Jenn in her post, but wanted to make 2 observations....

1) I think one strong candidate for the kind of partnership we need might be Freebase. Without being able to chase down citations to back these assertions up at this moment, I do know that they have used and plan to expand their use of library metadata, which they have observed is of strikingly high quality. Secondly, I have it on good authority that they (which means "google" at this point) have a broad vision of being a prime source of entity data on the web. My point: keep an eye on these folks!

2) I attended the DLF Fall Forum this past year, and was similarly frustrated by the lack of focus on metadata during the big brainstorm session that occurred during the wrap-up session. Given the critical mass of stakeholders which makes up the  DLF constituency, I find this gap to be quite the missed opportunity. Where do they/we go from here? That is the $10,000 question.

Cheers,
Casey