Fwd: Amsterdam Museum as EDM Linked Open Data

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Victor de Boer @ CS.VU <v.de.boer@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:17 PM
Subject: Amsterdam Museum as EDM Linked Open Data
To: EUROPEANA-WPTECHNICALPARTICIPANTS@mailtalk.ac.uk

Dear EuropeanaConnect partner,

We are pleased and excited to announce that the complete Amsterdam
Museum collection is now available as Linked Open Data (LOD). The data
was retrieved from an XML Web API of the museum's Adlib collection
database and converted to RDF compliant with the Europeana Data Model
(EDM). Through direct conversion from the source data to EDM, we now
have a very rich dataset in this format. The results is more than 5
Million RDF triples describing all of the more than 70.000 cultural
heritage objects related to the city of Amsterdam described by the
museum.

There are several ways of accessing the data: We provide basic browse
and search functionality through the EuropeanaConnect Semantic Layer
[1]. HTML requests to object PURL's will be redirected to an
experimental local view of that object. For example:
http://purl.org/collections/nl/am/proxy-63431 shows the image,
descriptive information and the surrounding graph of this object. You
can also point your favourite RDF browser to one of the object URI's
to retrieve the attached RDF. The data is accessible through a SPARQL
endpoint where a form can be found for manual testing of SPARQL
queries. Machines should use a SPARQL compliant HTTP API [2].
More information is also found on the CKAN.net page [3]

We provide a first alignment of the AM thesauri to (Europeana) Linked
Open Data vocabularies, thereby linking the Amsterdam Museum to the
LOD cloud. We aligned the concept thesaurus to the Dutch Art and
Architecture Thesaurus (AATNed) and the geographical part to Geonames.
The AM people database is partially aligned with Getty's Union List of
Artist Names (ULAN) and DBPedia.

The LOD version of the Amsterdam Museum data will remain under
development, updates and background details will be posted on the VU
Amsterdam Museum Blog.[4]

If you have any further questions or remarks about this please contact me,
kind regards,

--Victor

[1] http://semanticweb.cs.vu.nl/europeana/home
[2] http://semanticweb.cs.vu.nl/europeana/user/query