Re: [open-bibliography] New BNB sample data available

  Antoine:

In a previous life I served on a MARBI task group considering the
problem of language in authorized headings.  The problem here is that
the AACR2 rules allowed for the creation of 'mixed' headings, e.g.,
heading strings that included portions (usually separately subfielded)
in different languages.  The group was trying to figure out how these
separate parts could be separately identified as to language, but
eventually we gave up on the task--MARC just wasn't set up to do that,
and in fact every accommodation for the varieties of language and script
used to 'patch' MARC up in some specific circumstances create their own
particular problems down the line.

So what we have here is yet another 'holy grail' (compatibility) which
may not be achievable.  Any default attribution of language will be
wrong in some unknown percentage of cases.  I really think that our only
hope is to separately identify what has been cobbled together for use
within card catalogs, and move towards a faceted approach, perhaps the
one that FAST has taken.

As for the separate choices made by BL and LC, I'm not entirely sure
that agreement is required or even optimal, particularly given the
differences in spelling everyone insists on retaining!

Diane