Re: A better solution for legacy IDs?

OK, so based on the discussion I understand we're talking about schema, not
an actual registry (graph).  It all boils down to where the namespace for
the namespace is encoded (namespace in the generic sense, not RDF or XML
sense).  Possible options mentioned include:

1. Namespace is implicit in definition of property which is child of
dc:identifier (e.g. bibo:ISBN)
2. Namespace is encoded in a private datatype which is used with literal
value of dc:identifier
3. Namespace is encoded in the URI path
  3a. info: URIs
  3b. URNs
  3c. dereferencable (ie HTTP) URIs
4. Namespace is encoded in a special string notation (e.g. (CaSfIAP)1234567)

Both #1 and #2 require some type of registry of known namespaces.
Registries are a pain to manage (the "scaling" problem that Karen
mentioned).  #3 has a predefined hierarchical namespace which allows for
distributed assignment, but you need to find a spot to hook into the
hierarchy. Anything that requires non-standard string parsing (such as #4)
seems like a really bad idea.

There's a lot of overlap between info URIs [1] and URNs [2] in that
info:lccn/ could also be encoded as urn:nbn:us:lc or some such.  The
justificationfor info URIs [3] doesn't seem particularly compelling (or
accurate) and since that URNs seem to have more momentum, let's focus on
them.

Antoine's
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/92056/BD9D5C6C6B02248F187238E9D7CC09EAF17BEA59.html
is also known as http://www.dlib.si/details/URN:NBN:SI:snd-56N8AX71 which
demonstrates that some people are using URNs for this type of thing already.

Karen's example suggested the use of a code from the MARC Code List for
Organizations [4] and there's also the ISIL registry [5].  Some
registration authorities such as the British Library are using the same
codes for both MARC and ISIL (which certainly makes sense).

I'd suggest using taking advantage of these existing registries and getting
them hooked into the URN namespace.

Some possible examples:
  - urn:nbn:us:marc:casfiap or urn:isil:us:marc:casfiap for the Prelinger
Archive
  - urn:isil:uk:uklobm-1234 for IDs assigned by the British Museum

The trick is to find an amenable registration authority at the right spot
in the hierarchy and making the necessary justifications to them.

Tom

p.s. Universal identifiers (as suggested by Stuart) would be awesome.  This
XKCD pretty much sums up how these efforts usually evolve though
http://xkcd.com/927/

[1]
http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xml