Re: Draft Relevant Technologies (and vocabularies section)

Hi,

I would like to make a few brief comments, if you'll allow me.

- LLD vs BLD: libraries (at least academic, scientific and research
libraries) do not only have catalogues containing bibliographic data.
They also have full text repositories, image databases, etc. Not sure if
these are to be regarded as library data. But what else? Bibliographic
catalogue (meta)data are not very important/spectacular in my view,
because what would be the added value of all libraries publishing their
bibliographic data individually? It's all just 'more of the same' as we
say in Dutch. Of course this also applies to existing, non LD,
bibliographic data. That's why lots of libraries already practice shared
cataloguing. Only the unique data (holdings, copies, etc.) are really
interesting in this respect.
And of course the repositories etc. that I mentioned. Not really
'library' data, but what is library data in the future anyway?

- Tools: yes please! Lots of smaller libraries do not have their own
developer staff needed to do anything with linked data or similar. They
need simple-to-use tools to either publish or use LOD. For instance, A
smaller Dutch commercial library/museum system vendor, Adlib, is
planning to add utilities to their ILS for publishing metadata as LOD.
And I am hoping to do a session at this year's IGeLU (Ex Libris user
group) meeting about 'Linked Data and Ex Libris products'), touching on
needed utilities for both publishing and using linked data.

Lukas Koster