Re: Planned changes to the VIAF RDF

Jeff,

On 4/13/11 11:15 AM, "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:

SKOS has a lot of bells and whistles. Just because the broader/narrower bells aren't useful in this case shouldn't discourage us from using the skos:prefLabel/skos:altLabels whistles. See my earlier message for why skos:prefLabel shouldn't be assigned directly to person, though.

Jeff

Re: skos:broader and skos:narrower - maybe in some authority files, as you said, these are not apply.  But VIAF is a hub of many others, which may have the broader and narrower relationship for corporate bodies.  I would like to use ULAN ( Union List of Artist Names ®) as the example here, as I understand that ULAN is already in VIAF.

ULAN was originally constructed as a simple alphabetized "union list" of clustered artist names and biographies, as a part of the Getty's effort began in 1984 for merging and coordinating controlled vocabulary resources for use by the automated documentation projects in the J. Paul Getty Trust.  "[I]n the late 1990s ULAN was brought into compliance with national and international standards for thesaurus construction. Its scope was broadened to include corporate bodies such as architectural firms and repositories of art, which may have hierarchical levels." [1]     A good example is the Smithsonian Institution and the
many museums of it (e.g., National Gallery of Art ) and their subordinates.

Marcia

[1] History of the ULAN. In: About the ULAN. The Getty Research Institute. http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/ulan/about.html