RE: Planned changes to the VIAF RDF

Ed,

The problem is that authority data makes a distinction between
established and variant headings that should be preserved somehow in
authority Linked Data. If we assume skos:prefLabel/skos:altLabel are the
best solution for this, then we need to contend with the SKOS S14
integrity condition:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#S14>

SKOS tries to preserve S14 integrity for pure skos:Concepts (e.g. LCSH)
by discouraging owl:sameAs and using skos:exactMatch instead:

"owl:sameAs, owl:equivalentClass or owl:equivalentProperty would
typically be inappropriate for linking SKOS concepts in different
concept schemes, because the formal consequences that follow could be
undesirable." <http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L4858>

Even though there is no rdfs:domain set on skos:prefLabel and they COULD
be assigned as properties of people, it's not practical to discourage
owl:sameAs for those types of entities. This means that all the
skos:prefLabels get thrown into an owl:sameAs pile and S14 could be
inadvertently violated. The foaf:focus patterns solves this.

In other words, the skos:Concept/foaf:focus pattern is being used in
this case to control *headings*, not because the #concept has other
roles to play such as in dcterms:subject. For those cases, use the
#thing URI instead.

I admit this use of skos:Concept/foaf:focus/owl:Thing to control
headings for non-conceptual things is confusing, but as a design pattern
is it very nice.

Jeff